Saturday, February 11, 2012

Paying off Debt

We have been paying off a big debt for the last 10 years. I have to admit I felt like it would never get paid. I found out the other day that it will be paid off this year. What! Are you kidding me? It was a 20,000 debt. The amount felt insurmountable. I felt the same way that the picture above looks like. My husband reminded me that we had been paying 2,000 a year for the last 10 years. I had gotten so used to the bill that it never occurred to me that someday it would actually be paid! How did that happen? It has been 10 years but at the same time it feels like yesterday almost. I cannot tell you what it feels like to know that it is actually almost paid! I have read lots of stories on how people have paid off huge debts but I have to admit I had some doubts that I could be one of them. I almost cried the other day when after  having a meeting about the debt I went out to my car to find a parking ticket on it. I thought to myself, are you kidding me? We do all the right things and this is what I get? I'm not going to lie. It isn't easy to do the right things. It isn't easy to say no to things I would like to do, places I would like to go, and things I would like to buy.  Of course if I hold myself accountable it's because I didn't always do the right things in the beginning, and that is how I got into trouble in the first place. I have read stories about others who got into trouble with debt, turned their lives around began paying it off, and then got blessed somehow to pay it off early. That hasn't happened to us. The reason why I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened to me is because God knows I am not ready for it. I still have bad habits to change, and things I still need to work on. Most of all I think I still have this debt mind set or I wouldn't have been so surprised to find this bill is almost paid off.  Thank you God for the work you continue to do in me, so that when the debts are finally gone I will be worthy of the stewardship of taking care of the money.
Luke 12:15,23,34. And He said to them, "Beware and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does life consist of his possessions. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

No comments: